Social Media Statistics
Social media has come to play a critical role in both our personal and business lives. In view of this, the SmallCapRelations team has compiled some key social media statistics:
- As of March 2019, the total worldwide population is over 7.7 billion.
- There are more than 4.3 billion internet users worldwide (more than half the global population).
- Every day during 2018, more than 1 million people came online for the first time.
- More than 3.48 billion people are currently on social media.
- Over 9 out of 10 users access social media via a mobile device.
- Statistically, there is a new social media user approximately every 10 seconds.
- People spend 1/7 of their waking lives on social media.
- 5.11 billion people now have mobile phones.
- The average social media user spends 2 hours and 16 minutes each day on social platforms.
- The average internet user now has an account on almost 9 social media platforms.
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion+ messages a day.
Neglecting social media is a misstep for any business. There are now billions of social media users worldwide, making social media a powerful marketing tool that no business can afford to ignore.
In the social media realm, Facebook is the unequivocal king. If your company doesn’t have a dedicated Facebook page, you are missing a big marketing opportunity. Below are some Facebook statistics to illustrate what we mean:
- Facebook remains the top social media platform in 2019.
- Facebook’s number of monthly active users (MAU) grew steadily throughout 2018.
- More than 2 billion users log on to Facebook every month.
- In Europe, more than 307 million people are on Facebook.
- Approximately 74% of Facebook users access the platform daily, with 51% visiting multiple times per day.
- 150 million people use Facebook Stories daily.
- Facebook Messenger is the world’s top mobile app in terms of downloads.
- The number of Facebook users age 65 and older has doubled since 2012, with 41% of U.S. senior citizens now using Facebook.
- 68% of U.S. adults use Facebook, most of them daily.
- 95% of businesses use Facebook throughout the world.
- Facebook users and businesses exchange more than 10 billion messages per month.
- 1.6 billion people are connected to small businesses via Facebook.
- Facebook’s advertising revenue was more than $55 billion in 2018, with 94% of that revenue coming from mobile ads in Q4.
- The average American Facebook user clicks on 8 Facebook ads monthly.
Instagram is another rapidly growing social media platform – so rapid, in fact, that Facebook bought it back in 2012 for a whopping $1 billion. The head honchos at Facebook recognized how relevant Instagram was becoming. Instagram offers an effective platform for connecting on a personal level with your audience. Here are some statistics:
- More than 800 million Instagram users exist worldwide—a number that is constantly growing.
- More than half of the total comments on a post will be made within 10 hours of the post going live, which demonstrates just how speedily information can travel and how important it is to regularly create quality posts.
- More than half of Instagram users open the app every day.
- The majority of Instagram users are younger than 30.
- Instagram has the highest customer engagement rate when compared with top social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.
Twitter is being utilized more and more by businesses as a means of having real-time interaction with their customers. The platform is ideal for quickly disseminating information to consumers and effectively facilitates prolonged conversations with followers.
- Twitter has 321 million monthly active users.
- 40% of 18- to 29-year-old Americans use Twitter.
- Approximately 46% of Twitter users visit the platform every day, with 26% visiting multiple times per day.
- Twitter users post about 500 million tweets each day.
- 84% of businesses use Twitter.
- 85% of small and medium businesses with Twitter accounts believe Twitter is an important customer service tool.
- 80% of Twitter users access the platform on mobile devices.
- 74% of Twitter users use the platform to get their news.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first tweet to the billionth.
LinkedIn is the world’s premier professional social media network and presents a great platform for businesses to reach like-minded professionals. LinkedIn is ideal for companies that are looking to generate professional buzz surrounding their brand.
- LinkedIn has more than 610 million members.
- Two new users join LinkedIn every second.
- The majority of Fortune 500 executives and decisionmakers use LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn traffic comes from mobile users.
- 62% of businesses have a LinkedIn account.
- There are more than 30 million companies on LinkedIn.
- 63% of businesses on LinkedIn say their top priority for LinkedIn use in 2019 is driving more leads.
- U.S. marketers polled in November 2017 said LinkedIn was the safest social ad platform for brands in terms of divisive politics or fake news.
Marketing and Engagement Statistics
Now that you have a better understanding regarding the leading social media platforms, let’s examine some statistics regarding marketing and engagement on those platforms:
- Before making a purchase, more than half of millennials will research a product or service online.
- Almost 50% of all consumers will stop following a business if the business posts too many advertisements and not enough engaging content.
- About 90% of the messages sent to businesses via social media are ignored.
- When consumers are seeking customer service assistance, social media is their top choice for communicating with a business.